New Year, New You.

2013 has come and gone and once again many people are making the usual promises to themselves to do things this year that they failed at last year. Resolutions like losing weight and exercising more or to start saving money or shopping less fill our brains and hearts with guilt and a sense of failure before we even start. Sure some people start off with a bang and usually break their resolution within the month of January.


I believe that the reason behind this is that we usually do not set tangible goals. Things like losing weight or saving money are just a nice thing to think about. They are not tangible goals. How much weight do you want to lose or how much money do you want to save. As humans we are natural and failing and giving up when things get to hard. 

I have set the usual resolutions before. I have said I want to lose weight or I want to save money but I have always failed. I have always given up. This year I was very careful at the resolutions that I set. I made sure that they were tangible and that I could easily accomplish them. 

This year my resolutions are as follows:
  1. To drink a gallon of water a day.
  2. To not eat candy for the year. 
Now those resolutions may seem silly and you may say "how the heck are you going to do that?" Well let me tell you how I set myself up for a win instead of a failure.
  • I prepared myself.
    • For the passed month I have been drinking half a gallon of water every day building up to the 1st. On New Year's Eve I downloaded an app that helps me keep track of my water intake and reminds me at different intervals during the day to drink my water. So on NYE I filled up my water bottle and completed my goal of drinking a gallon of water. Now on the 1st I am actually on day 2 and have set off on a good note and am ready to succeed! 
  • I set a simple goal.
    • Giving up candy is one thing but giving up sweets is a whole new story. I knew that if I said that I would give up sweets that I probably would not last till lunch on New Years, but if I say give up candy then I am still able to have birthday cake on my birthday and not feel bad about it. 
  • I have a support system. 
    • I have people on my team that know my goals and have promised to yell at me if they see me not accomplishing them. I am also a support system for them as well. It is important to have people in your life that will keep you accountable for things that you set off to do.
I am really excited this year. This is actually the year that I am going to complete my resolutions. I am determined to do this not only because the things I am doing are healthy but I think that it is important that we set goals for ourselves and actually come through with them. So my challenge for you this New Year's Day is to think about your resolutions and make sure that they are something that you can actually do and keep doing.

Happy New Year to you and your family and good luck with the resolutions! 

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest Gallery

Like us

Tweet Tweet

Instagram Shots

Search This Blog

Back
to top