Today was a good day...

Saying that today was a good day might be an understatement. Today was a great day. Today was a day that I needed so much to start feeling normal again.

I have only been in the states for 6 weeks. In reverse culture shock time that is not a lot. I have noticed myself slowly getting back to normal but slowly would be the key word. I don't think people really understand culture shock and can sometimes make you feel insignificant if you are the one dealing with it. Mood swings, loneliness, inability to make a decision when faced with too many options are just some of the things I have been dealing with for the past 6 weeks. On the outside I was fine but on the inside I was screaming.

I think it is important for people to understand this about mission work. This is probably one of the most overlooked issues that missionaries face. People think that just because you come back to good old America everything should be fine. Of course it is going to be fine...I have 23 different flavors of ice cream to chose from or sonic is now putting candy in their slushes. Little things that "normal" people see as everyday occurrences can be a huge challenge for me right now.

But here I am. Waking up every morning and getting through the day by the Grace of God. However today was different. Yesterday was a bad day. Yesterday I questioned what I was doing probably 1,000 or more times. Yesterday was hard. But today I woke up expecting God to show me my purpose...and He did.

He showed me my purpose in the form of church known as UBC (University Baptist Church). Waking up this morning I was so excited to finally get to join my UBC family on a Sunday morning. Walking in to the youth I immediately felt at home. Smiling faces that had been praying for me for months greeted me with eager voices. Students that are so excited and passionate for change in their schools listened as I explained why I was there. Potential flooded my soul when I looked around at all the room for more chairs to be filled. My purpose was finally shown. As the day went on things got better and better. Friendly faces gathered me and tears welled up in the eyes of gentle souls that have been looking forward to this day for a very long time. The day had finally come for someone to stand up for UBC and demand a revival in the lives of our young people and that someone that they have been praying for is me and my team.

I was reminded over and over again of how much God loves me. I was reminded of His plans for me and how they are so much greater than the plans I can make. I was reminded of my purpose and His love for his children. I was challenged and placed outside of my "church comfort zone" but still felt at home when I looked into the eyes of people cheering me on.

Today was a good day. Tomorrow...well that is going to be an even greater story.


CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Pinterest Gallery

Like us

Tweet Tweet

Instagram Shots

Search This Blog

Back
to top